Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Super Tuesday is Near At Hand

I’ve been following the primaries very closely this year, as I’m sure (or at least hope) that many of my fellow Americans have. I think regardless of the end results, this presidential election will be remembered and talked about for a long time. In case you didn’t know from reading some of my earlier posts waaaaay back when (aka last year) I’m a supporter of Obama. Now, I was a lil hesitant about him at first, but I dug him because I can identify with his desire to be the candidate of change and I think he embodies that more than any of the other candidates making a bid. Now Hillary…well, truthfully I liked Hillary a lot more prior to Bill getting involved with her campaign. The whole ‘sit-on-the-sofa-and-talk-to-me-I’m-a-normal-gal-just-like-you’ bit that she pulled was quite ingenious and I gave her a major hat tip for trying to show her softer side. Then she let the dogs out…Bill…I must say that I’ve lost some…any, major respect for this man as the campaigning progressed and his snide/underhanded comments about Obama were being made. You know, the funny thing is that prior to this campaign being made into a ‘race’ thing, Hillary was doing well in my opinion. Obama wasn’t/isn’t trying to plug himself as the ‘Black Candidate’ and as a matter of fact, that very topic was quite hot when he first announced his bid for the Presidency – recall numerous articles and talks about Obama being ‘Black enough’? Exactly.

But now…it seems the Clinton kids have highlighted issue of race and indeed it seems as though the Black community (or at least I) don’t like how they’ve gone about doing so. They, for a lack of better words, are jerks and aren’t showing any real decorum in terms of campaigning and sticking to the issues. I’ve had enough of this character bashing, I want to hear them debate about their various plans to make this country better. But I doubt that will occur any time soon.

So with today bringing us yet another day closer to Super Tuesday and being the night after the Florida primaries, imagine my surprise when I go to the Washington Post’s website and I see these two stories on the front page:

Giuliani to Exit Presidential Race Today
Following his third place finish in Florida, former New York mayor Rudy Giuliani is expected to drop out of the presidential race today and endorse Sen. John McCain. (read more here)

Edwards to Quit Presidential Race
Democrat John Edwards is exiting the presidential race Wednesday, ending a scrappy underdog bid in which he steered his rivals toward progressive ideals while grappling with family hardship that roused voters' sympathies but never diverted his campaign, The Associated Press has learned. (read more here)

Ladies and Gents…we now have a two delegate race on the Democratic side of the 2008 primaries! Talk about neck and neck! I can only wonder what this will mean for both campaigns…Granted, both the Clinton and Obama camp virtually ignored Edwards and focused moreso on going tit-for-tat with one another, but MAN! What will become of those Edwards supporters? I can’t lie, I dig Edwards a little, and would LOVE to see a Obama/Edwards ticket in the fall…but I guess only time will tell. Super Tuesday is looking more and more interesting as the days go by.

Did you know…
That, if elected, our country will have been ran by the same TWO families for a total of at LEAST 24 years? They could call it the ‘Bush/Clintonian regime’…Honestly, how can anyone say that these past 20 years or so have been particularly great for our country? Now, I’ll give Bill credit for the improvements he helped bring about while in office with the budget and deficit, but when Dubbya got into the White House? To hell with that and with America’s already lackluster world image. I really don’t like the idea of passing control of this country from one ‘elite’ family to the next. Nor do I like the idea of passing leadership of this country to older, more archaic politicians, when what this country needs is a revival in spirit, perception, and attitude. When you talk of change, it’s time for this country to have a leader who can truly lead us into the new millennium and sorry to say it, but I think it’s time the Baby Boomers take a back seat and let their offspring run the country before they run us even further into the ground.

Ok loves, keep your eyes and ears open…this is about to become even more interesting.

Oh, and below I’ve provided some helpful links to get you more information about the Primaries and other voter related topics.

Get Yourself Registered: MTV’s Rock the Vote

Find the Date of Your State’s Primary Vote: Vote-Smart

About the US Electoral College: US Electoral College (wikipedia)

Video Clips from the Candidates: You Choose 08

2008 US Presidential Election (including links to candidates of ALL parties)


Be informed. Be blessed.
CBrava

No comments: