Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The Trek to Marathondom

I've decided that I will run a marathon next year. It's an intimidating goal for someone who isn't a runner by nature, but it is something that I would like to do. A friend of mine is running in the National Breast Cancer Marathon (http://breastcancermarathon.com/) in Jacksonville next February and I've decided that I will run in the race as well.

I'm a novice when it comes to running, but I think that it's a goal that I would like to accomplish. I've begun looking into 'training' programs (see the Health links of the side) that would help me to meet my goals.

My first goal is to run in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure for Breast Cancer (http://www.nationalraceforthecure.org) that takes place in DC this June. It's a 5K run/walk, so I've begun to prepare myself for it. Yesterday I got my tail on the treadmill (ooo dreaded - not really, lol) and decided to test myself out a little. I've been jogging/walking outside during the past couple of months and I've been doing well. So yeseterday I ended up jogging/walking a little over 2 miles and 1 mile of that was jogging (which is HUGE for me). I broke the distance up by jogging some and then walking some, and it wasn't easy, but it was doable. I just kept pushing myself and thinking...ok, I just jogged .38 miles...why not go for .48, and just did it like that. Now...sadlly, my bum ankle is hurting a little, but I think that's a responce to the change in weather more than my jogging, because I don't think I overexerted myself at all.

Today the ankle is wrapped, and I'll be heading into boot camp (www.gijanefit.net - its AWESOME!) to continue working out, and I'm gonna try to jog the whole distance (about .6mi) without walking when I head out today. Wish me luck!

Congobrava

No comments: